During the first official Cradle to Cradle conference in Germany, in the presence of Cradle to Cradle founder Michael Braungart, Dopper officially announced the certification of Dopper Original. The Cradle to Cradle certification confirms that the Dopper Original is the first responsibly and sustainably produced water bottle, which also contributes to the welfare of people and the environment.
The core of the Cradle to Cradle principle is that at the end of the lifespan of one product, all materials it contains can be usefully deployed for the same or another product. No quality loss may occur, and all residual materials must be recyclable or environmentally neutral. The checks during the Cradle to Cradle certification process include the material (health and reusability), the use of renewable energy in the production process, responsible water use and the contribution to social justice. The Cradle to Cradle Product Standard also includes a continuous improvement programme, in which organizations develop an appropriate strategy for the future. Every two years, at recertification, the process is evaluated.
The Dopper Original has been Cradle to Cradle certified because:
• There are no toxic or prohibited substances (such as Bisphenol A) used in the bottle;
• The thermoplastics of which the bottle is made, are 100% recyclable;
• The Dopper is produced in a climate-neutral fashion, with responsible water and energy use;
• Old Doppers can be handed in at Dopper or at special plastics recycling points;
• The bottle makes a major contribution to reducing the global plastics problem;
• The Dopper Foundation contributes to drinking water projects worldwide.
Dopper wants to set an example for other entrepreneurs and inspire them to also create an impact. Founder Merijn Everaarts: “I believe that business with the goal of getting rich no longer suits the challenges of our world today. The focus in companies should be on sustainable and social solutions for products and services. The Cradle to Cradle certification of the Dopper Original fits in with our goal to contribute to a better world.”